Early Years Foundation
At Horizon Kids Nursery we are passionate about quality provision in the early years. We recognise that children grow and develop differently and we support each child based on their individual needs and requirements. We follow the British Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum which runs from birth until the end of Foundation 1. The EYFS frame work states that ‘every child deserves the best start in life’. We at Horizon Kids Nursery firmly agree with this and by following the EYFS framework we support and enable each child to reach their full potential.
The EYFS is made up of 3 Prime Areas of Learning and Development,
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development, this includes making relationships, self-confidence and self-awareness and managing feelings and behaviour.
- Physical Development, this includes gross and fine motor development and health and self-care.
- Communication and Language, this includes speaking and listening, attention and understanding.
These 3 Prime Areas are fundamental to every child’s development. They work together and support the development of the 4 Specific Areas,
- Literacy, this includes reading and writing.
- Mathematics, this includes numbers, shape, space and measure.
- Understanding the World, this includes people and communities, the world and technology
- Expressive arts and design, this includes exploring and using media and materials and being imaginative.
These 4 Specific Areas include the essential life skills and knowledge that all children need to participate effectively in today’s society.
At Horizon Kids Nursery the children are guided through carefully planned learning scenarios which lead them to being able to take ownership of their learning and play developing their own strategies for problem solving, challenge and risk taking. Collaborating with others and thinking critically in a safe stimulating environment which is language rich and underpins learning and development in all areas.